Information About Africa
Africa is the world’s second largest and second most populous continent after Asia. The African continent is popularly referred to as the home of mother nature due to its rich natural habitats and heart-warming safaris.
At about 30.2 million km² (11.7 million sq mi) including adjacent islands, the African continent covers 6% of the Earth’s total surface area and 20.4% of the total land area. With 1.0 billion people (as of 2009) in 61 territories, it accounts for about 14.72% of the world’s human population.
The continent is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, both the Suez Canal and the Red Sea along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. The continent has 54 sovereign states, including Madagascar and various island groups.
Africa, particularly central Eastern Africa, is widely regarded within the scientific community to be the origin of humans and the Hominidae clade (great apes), as evidenced by the discovery of the earliest hominids and their ancestors, as well as later ones that have been dated to around seven million years ago – including Sahelanthropus tchadensis, Australopithecus africanus, A. afarensis, Homo erectus, H. habilis and H. ergaster – with the earliest Homo sapiens (modern human) found in Ethiopia being dated to circa 200,000 years ago.
Africa straddles the equator and encompasses numerous climate areas; it is the only continent to stretch from the northern temperate to southern temperate zones. The African expected economic growth rate is at about 5.0% for 2010 and 5.5% in 2011.
Below are links to more information about Africa such as Africa history, facts, Africa quotes, and related news influencing Africa:
- History of Africa
- Nile River Facts and Information
- Enticing Africa’s Youth To Agriculture
- Refugee Camps in Africa
- AFRICA: “Ideal for the Development of a Real Economy”
- Africa Cup of Nations, Euro 2012 places at stake
- Africa can be a showpiece for the world – Ghana’s President say
- Nigeria and the African Continent : Under the Brunt of Western Imperialism and “Free Market”
- African forest policies crowned best in world
- African Livestock To Benefit From Scientific Breakthrough In Fighting Tsetse Fly Parasite
- Kevin Onuma Quotes on Africa
- Language Access For Africans In Diaspora
- Facts and Information About Africa
- Facts about Maasai People from east Africa